Long Stay «D» visa

IMPORTANT! Those wishing to enter the country for the purpose of study or work must apply for a D visa in advance. Family members of students/workers cannot currently apply for a D visa.

We remind you that obtaining a visa is not a guarantee of crossing the border. The decision is left to the border control of the country whose border you cross. Please follow this link and get more information https://www.politsei.ee/en/instructions/emergency-situation

NB!  To register in the electronic queue please use this link: https://broneering.mfa.ee/ 

PLEASE NOTE! When registering in the electronic queue for visa D, please enter the applicant’s name and surname according to passport data, also enter the number of the electronic application form. If an applicant does not enter the number of the application form, he or she will be dismissed from applying for a long-term visa D.

• A long-term visa is issued for a stay in Estonia and valid for up to 12 months (i.e. 365 days).
• A long-term visa is an interstate visa, giving the right to travel throughout the Schengen area up to 90 days within six months.
• You can only apply for a long-term visa at Estonian diplomatic missions.

To apply for a long-term visa, the following list of documents must be submitted:

  • Fill, print out the online Visa application form     
  • travel document which is issued within previous 10 years, contains at least two blank pages for visas and is valid at least 3 months after the expiration date of the visa;
  • completed, printed out  and signed Visa Application Form in electronic form; Important! Errors in the  Visa Application Form are unacceptable. the Consulate department is not responsible for incorrectly completed data in the Visa Application Form!
  • photo 35×45 mm;
  • insurance policy covering expenses due to illness or injury during the period of validity of the visa, in case of a multiple entry visa until the end of the first intended period of stay;
  • documents indicating the purpose of journey, e.g. confirmation letter from the host or documents proving that applicant is going to work in Estonia (confirmation from the employer, registration of short-term employment) or documents proving that applicant is going to study in Estonia. During the examination of an application, a consular officer may request additional documents.
  • at the time of submission of the application, biometrical data – 10 fingerprints of the applicant is collected; children under the age of 12 and persons for whom fingerprinting is physically impossible shall be exempt from the requirement to give fingerprints;
  • visa fee 100 €,  children 6-11 years EUR 40; 
  • The following persons are exempted from paying the visa fee: 
    • Children under 6 years
    • A family member of an Estonian or an EU/ EEA citizen
  • processing of the visa application strictly takes 15 calendar days!

We kindly ask you to pay the state fee through the bank (details are indicated in the Consular fee section), or at the Consulate department with your bank card.

Numbers of bank accounts of the MINISTRY OF FINANCE (payee) intended for transfer of state duty:

– SEB Pank р/с EE891010220034796011

– Swedbank р/с EE932200221023778606


– Luminor Bank AS EE70170001577198
Reference number:

  • 2900073630 (visa application to be submitted at Estonian representations abroad)
  • 2900082469 (visa application to be submitted at PBGB service offices)
  • If it is not possible to enter the reference number on the payment order of a foreign country, the reference number must be entered in the clarification field.

NB! A state fee is charged for considering a visa application.
A long-term visa is issued for short-term work in Estonia with a stay of up to 6 months and a validity of up to 12 months.

To apply for a long-term visa, the applicant must register a short-term job firstly at the Police and Border Board.

To register short-term work, you can apply for in the following cases:

a creative worker within the meaning of the Spectacular Enterprises Act, working in a spectacular enterprise;
a teacher or to work as a teacher in Estonia in an educational institution that meets the requirements of a legal institution approved by legal acts;
for scientific activity, if the foreigner has special training or experience for this;
athlete, coach, sports referee or sports worker for professional activities at the invitation of the respective sports union;
to work for the purpose of vocational training in practice through the mediation of an educational institution or student organization located in a foreign state for the purpose of practicing or directing an educational institution located in a foreign state, if this is part of the curriculum;
to service the diplomatic mission of a foreign state with the permission of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
for babysitting;
expert, adviser, consultant, if the foreigner has special training for this;
equipment installer or specialist if the foreigner has special training for this;
for work on seasonal work related to the processing of agricultural products;
based on international agreement.

More complete information on the registration of short-term work and registration of a temporary residence permit (Temporary Residence Permit) can be obtained on the home page of the Police and Border Department: www.politsei.ee


Exceptions for obtaining a D-visa are the so-called. youth visas for citizens of Australia, New Zealand and Canada for whom a stay of 12 months is established. On the basis of bilateral agreements concluded by Estonia with Australia, New Zealand and Canada, work visas are issued to 18-30-year-old citizens of Australia and New Zealand, 18-35-year-old Canadian citizens who can stay in Estonia for up to a year. The work carried out during this period should contribute to the achievement of the main goal of staying in the state, which is rest in Estonia, and those who take this opportunity should not work for the same employer for longer than three months.