We’re happy to announce that Estonia is launching a new Digital Nomad Visa that allows remote workers to live in Estonia and legally work for their employer or their own company registered abroad.
Digital nomads and remote workers have long faced ambiguity when working while they travel, often skirting the law by working while visiting a country with a tourist visa. But soon, eligible location-independent workers can apply for the chance to come to Estonia to live for up to a year with peace of mind that they can legally work.Estonia has already transformed the way a country serves people beyond its borders through programmes such as e-Residency. Now with the Digital Nomad Visa, Estonia is transforming how people in the world choose to work.
Who is eligible to apply?
You can apply for the digital nomad visa if you meet the following requirements:
- You are able to work independent of location
- You can perform your work duties remotely using telecommunications technology
- You either have an active employment contract with a company registered outside of Estonia, conduct business through your own company registered abroad, or work as a freelancer for clients mostly outside of Estonia.
- You can provide evidence that your income met the minimum threshold during the six months preceding the application. Currently, the monthly income threshold is €3504 (gross of tax).
How to apply?
- Applications opening soon.
- Review the eligibility requirements.
- Fill in the application form online. Print the form and sign it after completion. The state fee is 80€ for a Type C (short stay) visa and 100€ Type D (long stay) visa.
- Make an appointment at Estonian Embassy to submit your application. Make sure you bring copies of any required supporting documents.
- Applications are typically reviewed not sooner than 15 days
If you are already legally in Estonia and would like to extend your stay, you can also apply for this visa at a Police and Border Guard Board office. If you choose to apply in Estonia, make sure you have enough time for the application processing period.
More information on Digital Nomad Visa is here